Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Just what the DR ordered

As you all now I have been whining and moaning about getting outside. Today- I decided to take a mental health day from work and get out and enjoy the day. I slept until about 1o am and then I got up and had a pastrami sandwich. This is what I have every morning for breakfast. Well, most mornings anyway. I need whole grain and protein in the morning.

After Breakfast- Leanna and I went to Burr Oaks. It is in Blue Springs. They have five trails. They have 3 unpaved trails- 2 of which are loops and one is a straight trail that links the 2 other loops together. They also have a 1/2 mile paved trail and a 1 mile paved trail. We really just set out to walk 1 or 2 trails. When we pulled in the parking lot we joked about how we should just do all 5 trails. We looked at the layout and planned our route and took off. It took us 2 hours and 55 minutes but we finished all 5 trails. The grand total of all of our walking was 7.2 miles. We were so proud of ourselves when we finished. I am sure we will be just as proud tomorrow morning when both of us can't walk because our legs won't work.

I am probably the only goofball in the world who would take a vacation day from work to hike 7.2 miles around Blue Springs and tell you that it was the best day I've had in a while. I so thoroughly enjoyed it. Leanna and I got to have some good conversations- on the occasions that she got way ahead of me on the trail (which happens a lot) God and I had good conversations. It was just such a peaceful day.

I think we should start planning group outings where we can all get together on a weekend and get out and get moving. I hope you all are having an awesome week and could get out in this beautiful weather.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to take a relaxing day, but I did miss you. I know I call a lot lately, but I really enjoy talking to you and Jody, but don't tell him... he won't answer the phone anymore :)

    anyway. I hope this beautiful day brought lots of peace for you. talk to you tomorrow I'm sure! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly that sounds like an awesome day to me!! Where is this place? Blue Springs is right around the corner from me. That sounds like a great place for me to go and it would be great for Mia to burn off some energy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is 1 mile north of I-70 on 7 highway. You would then turn left at Park Street. If you hit the Casey's you've gone to far. There is a school at the corner of park and 7 hiway. The website is http://mdc.mo.gov/areas/cnc/burroak/

    It's also a nature center.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a long walk with Dallas this morning, too, and my shoulder is complaining about my pushing a 13 1/2 pound baby in a big stroller for the last two days! That's okay - I got out and got moving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go to Watkin's Mill freqently. There are lots of little hidden spots off the main trail that you can explore...one is a little creek and waterfall that the kids and I and the dog love to play in. Beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete