Thursday, January 22, 2015

Even When You Can't See It

I've been doing this weight loss thing for years.  As a matter of fact, this blog was initially created to follow a group of us that were trying to get healthy.  As I continue on this journey of obedience, I am trying desperately to keep my eyes on Jesus.  Some times that is easier than others.  When the scale isn't moving, it is hard to stay focused. Some may say not to get on the scale every day, and that's okay.  I choose to do it because my body reacts to certain foods and I use the scale to learn when to rule those out.  That's a blog for another day.   God keeps showing me something over and over again as it relates to the scale not moving so I figured I would share it with you.



This picture represents my weight loss since January 1st.  Each blue dot represents a day of weighing in.  As you can see, I've had my ups and downs and there has been a few days in a row there when the scale hasn't moved at all.  In the past, I would've been discouraged.  I would've been beating myself up wondering what I'm doing wrong.  Not this time. This time I  know that if I stay the course, the line will move down.

In those times, when days go by and the scale doesn't move, I am reassured by the thought that my body is still getting healthy even when I can't see the results.  I know that eventually the scale WILL move. God keeps showing me that my walk with Him is just like that.  There are times when I don't understand why everything seems to be going wrong in my world.  I keep doing the right things.  I keep chasing after Jesus.  I keep loving my neighbor.  I keep trying to be the light in the world, but nothing seems to change.  He whispers, "Holly, just like the scale doesn't always show the work that you are doing to change the inside of your body, the circumstances of your life will not always reflect the work that I am doing to change the inside of your heart."

When I step back and look at this weight loss picture overall, I can see that there is a great downward trend.  I can easily see how much  progress I've made. I can see that what I am doing is working.  If I could step back and look at my life from the moment I met Jesus until now, I would see such an amazing upward trend.  There would be a few bumps in the road when I started to lose my way but the change would be undeniable.  Jesus has filled empty places in me that I didn't even know existed.  God has restored relationships that would've been completely written off in the past.  God has helped me heal from insurmountable grief.  God has taken parts of me that were so completely shattered and somehow pieced them back together into something beautiful.

I shutter to think about the blessings I would have missed out on if  I would've given up in the times when the circumstances of my life didn't reflect God moving.  Don't give up.  God isn't finished with you yet.

Phillipians 1:6 I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you WILL carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. I'm on a weight loss, feel better journey right now too. Chris and I talked about the weighing once a week/month against weighing every day and like you I need to weigh every day. We actually compared it to the space shuttle challenger. They were only focusing on data points say monthly and if they had looked at the daily data points they may possibly have seen that launching that day would be disastrous. Chris said it had a big name like gradient something. :) And you are seeing that if you had only weighed once a week and it fell on one of those upward spikes you could easily be discouraged or I would have definitely been discouraged but by seeing all those data points you can see you are indeed going down and like you said those extra entries help you to know what was going on that caused those spikes. We women have so many factors that men don't have! :) I just want to find what works for me. I want to stop "doing" gyms and exercise plans that others have success at and just do what I know will work for me. A gym, treadmill, pool, and socializing are what work for me. I could buy all the workout dvd's in the world and while I "think" I will use them I won't. Right now it's walking and swimming. I like people watching so while the weather is beautiful here and there are lots of places to walk for free I simply won't do it. I need people to look at! :) Maybe I'll work back up to running and maybe I won't. I just want to physically feel better. I'm cheering for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Not sure why this hit me so hard?? Maybe the timing? I just read an email with photos of a dear friends transition of hair loss since Oct. as she starts a long battle with breast cancer? Maybe the fact I am struggling in my walk right now? Getting lukewarm and discouraged from so many different factors. Maybe the fact I know you? The fact I could feel your sweet, authentic heart for the Lord as you walk this walk of obedience. No matter the reasons, it was very impacting to me today! As I set at my desk holding back my tears, know that I have just prayed for you! I have given thanks for you so often over the past few years and continue to do so! Thank you for being awesome you and being REAL!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete