Thursday, May 5, 2016

He Can Never Love Me More

I  heard numerous times in my life that nothing I could ever do could make Jesus love me less.  It took me a long time to receive that truth in my heart.  I was always striving to be all that I believed God wanted me to be and more.  Since I was the one doing the striving, instead of letting God shape and mold me into who He wanted me to be, I often got it completely wrong.  God has had to correct my path on more than one occasion.

So, the lesson is to quit trying to do things under your own power, even if they look like something God would want you to be doing.  Ask Him what He would have you do and then take a step in that direction.

Having said that, I wanted to share something I read recently.  I don't remember which book, as I've had a lot of down time to read, but it was so good that I've been mulling it over for quite some time.  If there is nothing I could do that would make God love me less, wouldn't it also be true that there is nothing that I could do that would make Him love me more?  That is such a freeing thought to have.



I seek God's will in my life and pray for His guidance and direction.  When I feel like I've heard Him, I will start taking steps in the direction He has guided me.  Then, fear sets in.  I will start doubting that I am doing "it" right or doubting that the actions I am taking even matter.  I want so desperately to please God with my actions that I let the fear of screwing it up get in the way of doing it.  If I can remember that God won't love me any more if I get it right, I release myself from the fear of getting it wrong.  I don't have to try so hard.  I don't have worry if I am enough.  I simply get to rest in His love for me and trust in His promises. That doesn't mean that I don't have to keep seeking, and praying, and moving, and stretching, and growing.  I just don't have to strive for more of His love.

May we be those who are obedient to do what God has asked of us because we love Him, not so He will love us more.

1 comment: