Thursday, January 29, 2009

Exercise for Good Causes

There are 2 things on my mind that I want to talk about tonight. #1 is that we only need to sacrifice 30 minutes a day. God keeps putting that on my heart. I keep whining and complaining about how much I hate exercising and God keeps saying "30 minutes a day, Holly- it's just 30 minutes a day". I do a lot of things in my day that I don't like doing and I do them for more than 30 minutes and there is very little reward for me. I deserve to spend 30 minutes a day taking care of my health so that I can be around for my family, so that I can enjoy retirement, so that I can the things that I have only dared dream. I encourage everyone to just find 30 minutes a day- and it might be after everyone has gone to bed (please note the time of this post). If you aren't lucky enough to own any workout equipment then find a big can of peaches and use them as weights. If you have stairs in your house, walk up and down the stairs. Go to Vintage Stock and spend $2 for an exercise tape, or heck I probably have one you could borrow. Just get moving, however that looks to you. Maybe you just need to dust off the exercise equipment that is in the garage, basement, under the bed etc.. and use it. I am not preaching my friends as this is a constant struggle for me ...but we need to get moving..somehow..someway.

Thought # 2 - I keep thinking that I need a goal. Just a short term goal. I am like a lot of people that are working on getting healthy- I look at what I would ultimately like to lose and it's 40%. That is A LOT!! and it seems so far away from reality. I need something to work towards that is a little closer to reality. I have been looking at 5k walks and bike rides and any type of physical activity that I (or we) could do that would give me something to work towards that would also benefit others. I open to suggestions from anyone who knows of good events that are taking place. It has to be something that doesn't require me to be superfit..and that I can do (no matter how slowly). It also has to help others. There was one in February that I was looking at but I don't think that realistically I want to set myself up for a failure. The one I am looking at right now is "Vertical Dash for Diabetes" on Saturday March 7th. The cost is $18.00. Chris and Leanna's father has been beating his diabetes, Molly has dealt with Diabetes, a dear friend of mine was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and a lot of others in my life are affected. This is a cause I can get behind. The event is as daunting as it sounds. It is a vertical dash up 34 flights of stairs. I can assure you that the website makes it very clear that it is not necessary to "dash" up the stairs and they welcome anyone who wants to "walk" up the stairs. They state the goal is to raise money for Diabetes while encouraging individuals to take part in physical activity. Do I think that walking up 34 flights of stairs would kick my butt?? ABSOLUTELY!! Do I think that I would be dang proud of myself when I got to the top?? ABSOLUTELY!! Then imagine how much fun it would be to go back next year and blow your time out of the water. So my question is --- who wants to do it with me???? Anyone..anyone..anyone...Bueller!! Once I get an idea if there will be enough to form a "team" then I will register the team so everyone else can register. The website is http://www.kcfit.net/verticaldash/index.html. Pray about it and let me know!!

God Bless!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm all for a group activity, but 34 flights of stairs.... I will have to pray on that one for sure. not sure if my back can take that yet. I commend you if(when) you do it though!!! Not saying I won't... yet... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to mention that I have already had several people who have told me I'm insane. I looked at last year's times and some people took 20 minutes to get to the top. The stairways are narrow with hand rails on both sides so if you need to "pull" yourself up you can. I am registered =) no going back now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More power to you! I know I couldn't do it. I was seriously winded by 8 & 1/2 flights last night. GO FOR IT! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly I would love to try this with you!

    ReplyDelete