Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Frustration Management tool

For those who read the blog faithfully (or those of you who really know me) know that I have a tad bit of an anger management problem. I was raised in a house with yelling and it seems that I have inherited that trait. I do way better now (with God's help) then I have ever done before but I'm a work in progress. It usually happens when I have tried and tried to express myself in a "non-yelling" way and eventually feel like I am not being heard. I am sure that there are some roots inside that God is still working on removing in regards to this! =)

Anyway...it seems that lately my frustration level at work has been through the roof. I took a position in IT last February and have received minimal training. I get frustrated when I am having issues with the system that I can't resolve and I feel like I am being "told" what to do and not "taught" how to do it. I hope that makes sense. For the record, I don't have that issue with everyone on my team but it happens enough to push me over the edge sometimes.

I have been brainstorming ways to reduce my frustration level at work. I had a conversation with Jody (my level 2 analyst) and spoke a little truth. I let him know that I am not the best at asking for help and if he could just check in with me a couple of times a week to help with problem tickets I would be very appreciative. I also told him that I would work on specifically asking for what I need.

I also had a conversation with my team and got the OK to combine both of my 15 minute breaks into a 30 minute window in the afternoon where I can leave the building and go for a walk. I found a park a few blocks down from my job that has a trail around a pond. It is very beautiful and it allows me to get "quiet" with God and cast my prayers and my cares upon Him as I get some much needed exercise. I will have to keep you updated on how well that is working. I would humbly ask that anyone reading this blog send up an extra prayer for God to help me dig the anger roots out.

God Bless

**** PS..Skinny Cow Vanilla Caramel Ice Cream Cones are the bomb!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - the 30 minute break to walk is an incredible idea!!! It will be especially wonderful on the upcoming spring days when you can walk in wonder of God's creation with the birds singing, the trees budding, the tulips blooming... (can you tell I love spring?) Just one of His signs that great things are coming and that you are on the right track. Keep up the good hard work - we're on your side!!!

    ReplyDelete