Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Club I'm Starting

I am starting a new club. It's called "People for Realistic Serving Sizes". So I didn't blog last night because I was irritated at myself and at Papa Murphy's. We had a coupon for a Chicken Artichoke Bacon D'lite pizza from Papa Murphy's so I did my due diligence and looked up the nutrition information before we decided to get it. It wasn't too bad. It was 180 calories per slice and 9 grams of fat. I knew that the 9 grams of fat was a little high but not too bad for a piece of pizza and I had been saving up some calories for some pizza.

So anyway..the pizza comes out of the oven smelling better than I ever could have expected. The crust was nice and crispy and the cheese was bubbly. I ate that first piece and thought..mmm..this is good. I had another piece using the rationalization that it would still only put me at 360 and I usually allow myself about 700 calories for dinner. Needless to say, by the time we were done we had finished off the whole pizza. Now..while I know that this is an issue in and of itself, I had made a choice. I knew that it was 720 calories and 36 grams of fat. I would usually never eat anything close to that many fat grams but I also know that if I don't allow myself some pizza every once in a while that I would do great for a few weeks and then binge. So...anyway..I had made a choice. I then went on the computer later in the evening to log my calories and went back to Papa Murphy's website to make sure I had my #'s correctly. It was then and only then that I saw the little bitty print that said that a serving size was based on a piece being 1/10th of the pizza. This would have equated to a sliver. CAN WE GET REALISTIC?? So anyway...I got frustrated and had to give myself a pep talk to do better at looking at serving sizes (which I almost always do) and that maybe next time, I should eat a big salad before the pizza comes out so that I won't want so much.

I just sometimes wonder who comes up with these serving sizes....they drive me nuts.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...looking at the time on your blog, you must have been up pretty late last night. Wonder why???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the "single" serving size of Blue Bunny ice cream (bunny tracks is my favorite) is actually 2 servings....who would have known...it is a really little dish and looks like one serving to me...but no...it is two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. We eat bunny tracks around here too and c'mon..you find me 1 person in the world who turns that into 2 servings...DOESN'T HAPPEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Holly. Papa Murphy's is worth every single calorie. I always eat three or four pieces - and I cut our pizza into 8 slices. Who makes 10 slices anyway?

    ReplyDelete