Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I am Full

It's late and I'm tired but I wanted to take a minute to clarify yesterday's post. I appreciate all of the suggestions and feedback but I think my post was misunderstood.

A lot of times when people go on a diet, they complain that they aren't getting enough food and aren't satisfied. I think that this is what everyone is thinking I was saying so I got a lot of suggestions to raise the amount of calories that I allow myself to eat. I think that may be a good idea but it isn't the issue that I am having.

I am having the exact opposite problem. I feel like I am eating all day long. I eat a good breakfast before work and get full and 2 hours later I am famished. I then eat a snack and within an hour I'm famished again, so I eat another snack and within an hour or so it's lunch time. I eat lunch and I'm FULL but about 2 hours later I'm starving again so I eat another snack. I am averaging 3 good size meals and about 8 snacks a day and I am having a hard time getting to 1900 calories. Like I said yesterday, it is not something I expected to be complaining about but I am sick of eating!! I did a little more analyzing of my food charts over the last few days and I think that part of the problem is that my snacks need to be bigger. Maybe this will tide me over for a longer period of time. My body is burning the fuel faster than I can put it in. Don't get me wrong this is a good problem to have and I am blessed that my metabolism is firing on all cylinders (for the first time ever).

So...any ideas on some healthy snacks that will be a little more filling? Right now I am eating a piece of fruit, or some yogurt, or a nature valley granola bar.

Thank you again to everyone who e-mailed me or left a comment with helpful suggestions. There was good information to be had. I am glad that we can all tackle this together. God Bless you all!!!

6 comments:

  1. OHHH the million dollar question: what can I eat that will fill me up like I think the Big Mac does! Because people an apple with a tb of peanut butter DOESN'T DO IT!! I am like Holly. I eat what I deem a healthy snack and then less than an hour later I'm STARVING!! Half of me thinks this is truely a mental game that I am playing with myself and that the apple and peanut butter really is enough. The answer: there are supposedly "filling yet healthy foods" for us out there. Do I know what those are. No. So I resign to be the grazer and eat a handful of almonds here and a handful of cauliflower here and a handful of something else here.
    Also in my fluctuating weight issues over the years I've learned that there also has to be a little bit of "I'm hungry" in order to lose weight. We are trying to change something that our bodies are very used to(I speak for me here): high carb, sugary, fatty foods. Back when I lost alot of weight I remember the days of an orange or a yogurt satisfying me and I know that those days will come again but I may have to be a little hungry in the process and just know that I've eaten what I should that day and I need to get up and DO something to take my mind off the hunger. Drink icy cold water with lemon or chew a piece of sugar free gum. And guys I'm not talking about starving ourselves. We just have to get through the period of readjusting our bodies to what it actually needs. I think this may be the topic of discussion with my trainer today!! Have a great Thursday everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need some protein for those snacks and fiber. That helps keep you satisfied a little longer. I also agree with the above comment by Molly...we do have to retrain our bodies to not expect food at all hours of the day, and definitely not to expect the crappy stuff we have been eating for years. That's just gonna take time, but you are doing GREAT, Holly! And, I can't wait to see you tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Holly, I just wanted you to know I checked out your blog. Cngrats on the weight loss and good luck (I wish I could get going myself). I also wanted to recommend a snack if I could. Mia and I really like Genisoy Soy Crisps. They are healthy, filling and taste really good. We eat them in place of chips and they really satisfy my craving for salty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Holly! I'd like to recommend a healthy dip for veggies - Knorrs vegetable soup mix (in a packet) added to a large carton of no-fat sour cream (stir together well). It's VERY good, salty, and tastes great on carrots, celery, califlower, etc. Also, have you tried sammies in one of the low carb roll ups? Very tasty, indeed!

    Also, I LOVE hummus - low carb, high protein dip that you can eat with veggies and can adjust the garlic and lemon juice to your palate. Let me know if you'd like my recipe, or you can find several on line.

    Have you tried Crystal Lite's Peach Tea drink? YUMMMY! Really good during the hot months.

    I also love pureed califlower - steam first, then throw into the food processor or blender and add Smart Balance (a delicious and HEALTHY substitute for butter), milk, cream or half and half, salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I bake it after adding a cup of parma cheese. It's just like mashed potatoes!

    Last, but NOT least, I make hot and sour soup to die for. VERY low fat, VERY low carb, and so darn good. It's a bit involved (not hard, just many steps), but once you taste it, it becomes a labor of love.... also great when you're not feeling so hot... Let me know if you're interested! Keep up the good work!

    P.S. If you feel like you're eating all day, cut down on the number snacks and add the caloric count into one, more substantive meal/snack. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, here's some information for you. You ARE hungrier, and it's not a mind game. It's a hormone game. Google leptin. That'll get you started.

    You are doing a great job! Just realize that just like smokers have nicotine withdrawal, you might have food withdrawal for a while. But in Christ you can do anything! He definitely wants you caring for the temple he abides in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my former life I worked in the weight loss industry (you can't really tell now) and worked closely with nutritionists and was the healthiest I have ever been. Then I moved away....
    Anyway, always combine a protien with your carbs and visa versa. If you are having a piece of fruit, eat it with some low fat cheese or peanut butter. Yogurt, eat with granola... you get the idea. And stick with granola bars that have sufficient protien, fiber and less sugar.
    Bottom line, if you combine fiber with protein it keeps you fuller longer.
    I am sure you know all this already. :)
    You are doing great, keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete